The Nor West Jockey Club, Roebourne first raced in Cossack in 1867 under WATC rules. The 1890’s saw a boom in Pilbara thoroughbred racing due mainly to local businessmen breeding their local stock horses with thoroughbreds from England and Ireland. Many of the Roebourne horses successfully raced in Perth well into the new century. In 1989 Cyclone Orson blew away the facilities, after fund raising the club committee and volunteers erected the now present Roebourne Racecourse facilities. Mick Joyce donated his time and a crane to help erect the new building.